The University High School was established in
1913, eight years after the institution, then known as the Jaro
Industrial School was founded by the Reverend William O. Valentine,
who also served as its principal. Upholding its guiding principles
of the dignity of labor, scholastic excellence, Christian faith
and ideals, and democracy in practice, the school had offered
as it does now, opportunities to students who are willing and
eager to work for their education.
The first year of the high school was opened in school year 1915-1916,
with fifty-eight students enrolled. Of these, fifty - six stayed
throughout the year. In 1916-1917, the second year of the high
school was added and the girls were allowed to enroll. Henry W.
Munger served as acting principal from 1916-1917 followed by another
acting principal Mary Thomas in 1017-1918. The third year was
added in 1919 and fourth year in 1920. At the first high school
commencement in March 1921, seventeen students graduated. Dr.
Alton E. Bigelow (1918-1922) was the Principal at that year, followed
by Dr. Harland F. Stuart. The first Filipino appointed principal
was Mr. Pedro Rio, 1928-1929. The enrollment continued to rise
gradually until the outbreak of the World War II in 1940. Mr.
Eleuterio D. Plagata was principal from 1938-1941, then resumed
from 1946-1965. After the war and until the present time the enrollment
has soared to unprecedented heights.
The University High School is an accredited high school. The
accreditation status was awarded by the Association of Christian
Schools and Colleges(ACSC) in 1978. It was also assisted by the
EDPITAF (Educational Development Projects Implementing Task Force).
CPU High School is the only private school in Western Visayas
to get such assistance from EDPITAF. In those years, the first
Filipina Principal, Miss Nona S. Dominado, 1966-1967, was at the
helm. In 2000, a Five-year reaccredited status of level II was
again awarded to the University high school.
The CPU Development High School was chosen as one of the fifteen
Network High Schools in the Philippines and served as divisional
leader school of the Engineering and Science Education Project
(ESEP) to implement instructional leadership in science education.
This selection was made by the Science Education Institute of
the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) in cooperation
with the Department of Education, Culture and Sports. Consequently,
Special Science Classes were created from first year to fourth
year. School year 1997- 1998 graduated the first batch of Special
Science Class students with Prof. Elizabeth Gorospe as the Acting
Principal (1997-1999). 1999-2001, Prof. Jerry Madayag was appointed
principal. He was succeeded by Dr. Nelson A. Pomado, a former
faculty member of the High School Department (1970-1987), and
Dean of the College of Education (1997-2001), who was appointed
Principal in June 2001.
Through the years, the University High School has lived up to
its tradition of excellence as shown in its outstanding performance
in the academics and the arts. It always strives to work towards
developing its students spiritually, morally, intellectually,
socially, and physically according to the divine plan of the Master