In the past ten years we were able to witness the fulfillment of many dreams of the predecessors of this University. These were the dreams of yester years that found visible fulfillment during the 1997 to 2007 period.
Loreto D. Tupaz Building (formerly Centennial Nursing Building). In 1906, the Union Mission Hospital (now Iloilo Mission Hospital), set the stage for nursing as a profession in this country. The apprentice system laid the foundation upon which the Iloilo Mission Hospital School of Nursing (then Central Philippine College College of Nursing and now Central Philippine University College of Nursing) was built and after which other schools of nursing were later patterned.
The operations of the school stopped during the Japanese occupation in 1941-1945. When the war ended, Miss Loreto D. Tupaz initiated the reopening of the school. She then proceeded to become acting Dean in 1949-1950 and worked together with Ms. Salzman to develop Central Philippine College of Nursing (later become CPU College of Nursing).
As early as 1936, Dr. Waters was head of the College of Nursing based in IMH, there was a dream already to put up a separate school of nursing with a building of its own. This was reiterated in late 1980s, but the reconstruction of the Henry Luce III library was given focus hence it was set aside then.
A modern piece of architecture; created to house the College of Nursing and temporarily, the College of Medicine and other medical facilities. Its groundbreaking was held January 19, 2002 and was dedicated the following year. The original name Centennial Nursing Building was later changed to Loreto Tupaz Building on 21 May 2006 in memory of Dean Loreto D. Tupaz, pioneer and pillar of the nursing profession in CPU and even in the Philippines.
College of Medicine. In 1938, Ramon Lopez donated a lot to put up a College of Medicine. That donation was rescinded in 1991 because after 50 years we have not even started with a concrete act towards the fulfillment of that intention or purpose. It was in 2002 that Board of Trustees approved the opening of the College of Medicine. Dr. Glenn AM Catedral is the first dean and the faculty members are mostly alumni. This March 2007, there will be 28 pioneer graduates of CPU’s College of Medicine.
Centennial Village. In 1966, CPU, under Pres. Rex Drilon acquired a lot in Pavia for the purpose of housing for employees of CPU. A realization of the long-time dreamed project of President Rex Drilon, the CPU Centennial Village-low cost housing for employees begun to take form on 11 January 2003. The 2.9-hectare subdivision is a fulfillment of the sincere intention of the Board of Trustees to provide utmost benefits particularly an affordable housing to the University's primary resource, its employees; especially those who have not yet owned permanent dwelling in spite of their long years of stay at Central. It has 185 saleable units with 6 types of housing models at affordable prices.